Friday, March 4, 2011

10 lies you'll hear before pursuing your DREAM

 

Ten Lies You’ll Hear Before Pursuing Your Dream provided by DivineCaroline.com.

The above is an article available @ www.divinecaroline.com

After reading the pointers couldn’t stop sharing my views on them – This is my perspective and no comparison meant to the wisdom of the author above.

1. You can follow your dreams someday, but right now you need to buckle down and be responsible.

The “SOMEDAY” philosophy actually got into my head from a song I was taught in school very early. “Hum honge kamiyab, hum honge kamiyab, hum honge kamiyab, EK DIN”. This EK DIN would only come if we get off our butt and out of our comfort zone NOW !

2. You’re totally screwed if it doesn’t work out.

“IF” is a fantastic word. That is only when the attitude following words is correct. Lets take an example…

What IF I fail ? What IF I lose all the money ? What IF people laugh at me ? The words following IF are of a mind who’s designed to focus on the negative. A person who is either a loser himself or is surrounded by losers.

What IF I Succeed ?  What IF I earn a Lot of money ? What IF people start to applaud me for my achievements ?  Now these words show a positive mindset. Someone who is all fired up to go get what they want.

So IF you want to change what follows your IF, change the people you hang out with.

3. It’s safer to stay at your day job.

My Mentor once said “ If you are looking for SECURITY, any CENTRAL JAIL could give you that”. A very famous IT Consulting Co in Bangalore just fired few Directors and a CXO only because they lost a project. So, yeah Day Job is actually VERY SAFE (Till the axe falls on you). 

However, there is nothing wrong with a day job if you LOVE it. But having your family depend on it is something I would reconsider.   

4. That’s impossible!

Trust me friends ! It was IMPOSSIBLE to pass my 10th std when I opened the math book of that class when I was in 1st Std. It was IMPOSSIBLE for me to give a speech on stage addressing 500 + people when I played a tree in my school drama. IMPOSSIBLE is like your shadow. The closer you move towards the source of LIGHT (KNOWLEDGE) & POSSIBILITY the faster it disappears.

Think about this -  IMPOSSIBLE is the smallest word behind which the biggest FEARS hide.

5. Only a lucky few “make it.”

One of my cousin who is a Charted Accountant once told me about a board that displayed the ‘thought of the day’ outside a church, opposite to the CA Institute. It once said “Jesus never fails” and a depressed CA student wrote further “Ask him to take the CA exams”. Well that was just on a humorous note.

LUCK is when PREPARATION meets OPPORTUNITY. So you could either sit waiting for an opportunity to ring your door bell or be prepared and equipped to GRAB it when you see it go past. If you have the knowledge, you’ll know where opportunities hangout.

Guess what !  You could nominate yourself to be lucky  EVERYDAY ! Smile 

6. You might fail. And failing is bad.

This is one of the best and consistent lines I’ve heard for over 20 yrs of my life. I wish parents told their kids not to try to walk if they fell once trying to do it. I wish people were told this while entering a driving school, or while learning to cycle. I’m yet to meet a person who has not fallen once of his cycle while learning. Not once, but every time I’m talking to school and college kids I mention about my 28yrs of failure I’ve had and the most priceless lessons I’ve learnt from it. ONLY A BLANK CHEQUE CAN BUY THE LESSONS THAT FAILURE TEACHES YOU.

Every failure has 2 aspects. The Lesson & The Feeling. What is important is that we learn the lesson and ignore the feeling we went through. People do the opposite. They carry the feelings associated with failure through out their life. And at one point these feelings become a mind block. These group of mind blocks make you fear failure even more and you stop to attempt what life has to offer.   

7. You don’t have access to the right resources.

I would have looked at this as a valid reason after days of convincing  20 yrs back. There is practically NOTHING or NO RESOURCE that is not available on the World Wide Web. You could find water in a desert if you really wanted and BELIEVED in yourself.

8. You need more money saved before you can take the first step.

Well if Dhirubhai would have followed this advice I’m sure we wouldn’t  have seen Reliance Group. He started with just Rs. 800.00 and today its more than 8000 Cr. Thanks to internet and technology today you could own a online franchise minting money for you at a throw away price* (Conditions apply. You need to be smart and with some IQ). Not only this but there are so many other opportunities out there. You just need to search. And most important BE OPEN and take advice from the RIGHT PEOPLE.

9. You don’t need any help. It’s smarter to go after it alone.

Very true. Go for it alone mentality is that of an Employee or a Small Business man. Dhirubhai, Mr. Mruthy, Mr. Premji, Mr. Gates, Steve….all of them built companies alone. HR, Finance, Operations, Logistics all were managed by them. Steve designed the Apple, built the components, put it in his car, when out to the super mart and stood outside to sell it all by himself.

I know you got my point. Unless you’re planning to sell peanuts on a railway platform, YOU CANNOT DO IT ALL BY YOURSELF.

TEAM – Together, Each, Achieves, Maximum.  

10. That sounds like a lot of hard work.

Achieving big things or dreams was never hard work. Hard Work is what a DONKEY does. If hard work was supposed to be awarded Donkey would have been the King of the Jungle. Hard Work was for the Industrial Revolution. Hard work then was maintain company accounts manually. Today its SMART WORK. Use Tally ! If you are still believing HARD WORK will take you to the top, GOD BLESS !

Take Care & Take Charge

Chakradhari. Rowe

1 comment: